Richard and I got the chance to go to Bempton Cliffs, a sea bird sanctuary, a couple weeks ago. This is a trip I have looked forward to since before I moved to England. Why you may ask? Every year from May to July, puffins take to the cliffs to breed before heading back out to sea. We got to see the puffins fishing during our cruise on Saturday and got to see them flying in and out of their burrows from atop the cliffs on Sunday. Puffins are definitely one of the coolest birds and in true BuzzFeed fashion, I will try to convince you to think so too!
1. Puffins are expressive little clown birds of the sea, penguin at the bottom and parrot at the top. Just look at their faces and little orange feet. What's not to love?
2. When they aren't breeding at the cliffs during the summer, puffins live at sea and rest by floating atop the water when they're not fishing.
3. Baby puffins are called pufflings.
4. Puffins rock at swimming and can dive down to 200 feet to nab some fish, using their wings to swim like penguins do.
5. Unlike penguins, puffins are great in the air too, flying up to 55 mph!
6. Pufflings live their first 3-5 years of life at sea before they start breeding on shore.
7. Puffins mate for life.
8. Puffins can hold a dozen fish in their beaks at one time.
9. They're quite loud and talkative during breeding time, but when they go back to sea, they're silent for months.
10. Puffins believe in joint parenting and working households. The male puffin builds the nest for his mate. The female lays one egg a year and she and the male take turns sitting on the egg while the other goes fishing.